Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Ramadan and October blues

Lets see now, what ails me today?
The sweet melancholy of changing weather, summer disappearing and the winds getting colder. The accompanying flu, that strikes me in this best of weather increasing my yearning for home. Espacially in Canada, when the maple leaf turns yellow, rustic and red, the streets are covered with leaves, and the winds blow them into your face for a rude awakening. October is really beautiful around me, and yet I suffer... with a runny nose and sore throat.
Birthday blues; Soon, I will turn an year older, and worry about health, happiness, career, job, parents, marriage, my meaning in this universe, my childhood; in short, the whole shebang. (Off-topic, I found an article that seems to sum up my childhood nostalgia. Gratitude to the writer. *bows*)
The Ramadan blues; Everybody seems to suffer from it, yet no one is willing to classify it as such. And dont worry, I'm not going to launch into a criticism of Islamic fasting, the ramadan blues are a gastronomical concept.
You dont eat the whole day. Accompanying this fact is that you (try to) ostracize the bitch in you, observe righteous behaviour (euphemism for not staring at women and denying the pleasures of colorful language), and the mathematics of virtue echos deep within all muslims (someday I will define that phrase). When you finally break the fast at sunset, it ends up being a feast of super-size me proportions (And I have seen this in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, but a few muslims from other countries have assured me that its a similar undertaking for them, too). With so much rich food going down, the blood flow re-adjusts, pumping more to the stomach, resulting in reduced flow to the other important areas. I dont understand the whole science, but the results are clear. You crave cigarettes like anything and you feel like the whole world has launched a psychological attack on you, reducing you to a state which is half knocked-out, half awake, a low that will chill the leftist in you into submission.
So while I prepare for the next iftaar, be very very nice to the people around you, espacially muslims. In Ramadan, we deny ourselves everything, and as a direct consequence, we crave everything, too.