Friday, October 08, 2004

Books I read

Away from the cyberworld, I have been getting an education.
After reading Mohsin Hamid's Mothsmoke, I thought about reading other South Asian Writers. I had already covered everything from Salman Rushdie, Bapsi Sidhwa and Arundhati Roy. This time I read, Monica Ali's Brick Lane, the story of a bangladeshi woman who moves to London when she enters an arranged marriage, and wrestles with the concepts of free-will, fate, love and destiny.
I read The Kite Runner by Khalid Hosseini, describing the life of a privileged Afghani and his childhood friend, in the surroundings of Afghanistan as it goes from one catastrophe to another.
I still have to read The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azfar Nafisi and the works of Kamila Shamsie.
Going through the library's list, I was struck by the fact that there is no website, no bookclub dedicated to south asian authors. I found sasialit, short for south asia literature, offering an incomplete listing with the last update in 2002. Ironic to the extreme, considering the expansion of the market for such authors in the last few years.
So I am putting together a list on amazon.com for South Asian Writers only. (technically, a list exists but mentions only ten titles. Ironic to the extreme, considering the incomplete list at sisialit has more than that. Hmm...
I found a link to Ibn-e-Safi (remember him? The guru behind Imran series & x-2), but the domain ibnesafi.com leads to a generic search page. And interestingly, the domain is registered to a Tidewinds Group Inc in Marblehead, MA. Google does not have any pages indexed that might have existed on this site.
I wonder what this corporation is upto that required the ibnesafi name.